What to do when a dangerous driver has no car insurance

Every motorist should ensure they have adequate car insurance before getting behind the wheel of a vehicle. However, if you’ve been injured in a road accident that wasn’t you’re fault and the driver of the other car wasn’t insured, the Motor Insurers’ Bureau might be able to help you.

Normally, when an accident occurs, the two drivers will exchange motor insurance details to make a claim for damage caused to their vehicles as well as any injury they may have been sustained. However, if you’ve been hit by an uninsured driver, somebody who can’t even be traced, how do you make a claim?

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau
The MIB was established in 1946 to compensate motorists either hit by drivers with no car insurance or hit by drivers that can’t be traced. Each and every motor issuance underwriter is obliged under the Road Traffic Act 1988 to become a member of the MIB and contribute to its funding.

The MIB will expect claimants to have already attempted to trace the driver of the other vehicle involved in the crash. They will also expect that the accident has already been reported to the police as well as their own UK car insurance provider.

UK Guarantee Fund
The MIB operates the UK Guarantee Fund to compensate victims of road accidents and works in the following territories:

  • England, Scotland and Wales
  • Northern Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Alderney
  • Guernsey
  • Jersey
  • Sark
  • Gibraltar

Conditions that apply to claims made via the Motor Insurers’ Bureau
To start the process of making a claim you’ll need to appreciate the following information:

To make a claim for property damage, you’ll have to identify the vehicle, even though the driver of the vehicle may be untraceable since the accident.
Motorists will have to pay an excess of £300 on claims made under the untraced driver scheme for property damage.
The MIB will only handle claims that have been registered within nine months of the car crash.
The MIB expects the accident to have been reported to the police within five days of the event taking place.

How to make a claim
If you’ve been involved in a crash where the other driver had no car insurance, you can make a claim by visiting the MIB’s website (www.mib.org.uk) and completing a MIB Claim Form. A separate form will need to be completed by each claimant, even if it is for the same accident.

What the MIB’s investigations include
You will need to send in supporting evidence with your claim to allow the MIB to carry out an investigation, which would include:

  • Establishing the facts of the accident
  • Confirming the identity of all people involved
  • Securing independent reports from eye witnesses along with motor engineers
  • Obtaining a police report
  • Contacting other bodies such as the DVLA and your car insurance company
  • Doctor’s medical reports for personal injury claims

Some facts
During 2006, the police seized a total of 78,000 vehicles that had no car insurance
There is a current number of 34 million vehicles on the UK roads
Uninsured driving result in 160 deaths every year
Motor insurance customers pay an added £30 on their policy because of uninsured motorists

Get a quote for car insurance
If you’re looking for a cheap deal on UK motor insurance, you’ve come to the right place. Here at CoverGirl Car Insurance Services, we could save you £££s on your current premium.

As the experts in women’s car insurance, we’re able to offer you a very cheap policy. And how can we afford to do so? Well, unlike some companies, we don’t throw money away on glitzy adverts, instead, we give it to you straight over the internet.

Every motorist wants the peace of mind that both they and their family will be covered if an unfortunate accident were to occur and this is something that CoverGirl Car Insurance Services can assist with. We even offer great deals on legal expenses insurance.