We live in a hyperconnected world, where it only takes a few seconds to send a message to the other side of the world. Whether for communicating with loved ones, replying to a professional email or just listening to music, the mobile phone is a very practical tool in everyday life. Because of its usefulness during the day, we often decide to charge it in the evening, while we are not using it. So in the morning we find a full battery, and a smartphone operational for the whole day. But according to firefighters, this habit could represent a great danger. Information relayed by the American chain ABC13 .
It is not uncommon to use your phone as an alarm to wake up. So we put it under our pillow or near our bed to hear the alarm clock in the morning and be able to start the day on time.
We are far from suspecting the danger that this a priori completely banal act can represent. Beyond the fact that sleeping near your phone is not recommended as it could affect the quality of your sleep, it could also cause fires.
A question of warmth
It is quite easy to notice when you charge a phone, the tool tends to heat up. This is usually fairly harmless because the phone and its charger are in the open air and cool immediately. However, this case is not a generality. For some people, it is essential to keep the phone close by, so they end up falling asleep with the phone under the pillow or buried under the sheets. The ventilation is then well reduced in this case, the phone can undergo overheating which can cause irreparable damage or even death.
Through a Facebook post shared more than 38,000 times, firefighters in Newton New Hampshire reveal disturbing photos and information that is chilling on their backs. According to them, 53% of children and adolescents charge their tablets or phone on their beds or under their pillows. A practice to ban because it would endanger the lives of children, as well as that of all the inhabitants of the house.
To avoid the irreparable and to prevent risks, it is therefore important to establish certain security measures.
How to charge your phone?
To avoid any danger related to your phone during charging, just take a few precautions. Let’s review them:
– When charging your phone, put it on a hard surface
– Chargers and counterfeit cables can represent a real danger, always try to check the origin and condition of your chargers when you buy them
– Avoid charging your phone near a flammable object or one that tends to overheat
Precautions therefore quite simple to integrate into your daily life.
What to do in case of fire?
In the extreme cases where a fire occurs, here are some recommendations from the Maine-Et-Loire departmental fire and rescue service when a fire breaks out:
– Immediately alert the emergency services and give them all the information they need
– Alert the other inhabitants of the house
– Before opening a door, touch it. If it is hot, it may mean that the fire is on the other side, so try to find another way out.
– During a fire, smoke rises. Do not hesitate to bend over or even crawl to avoid breathing toxic smoke
– If a part of the body catches fire, try to keep calm and roll on the ground to suffocate it. You can also cover the affected area with a thick towel